Sunday, September 20, 2009

date night

Last week we visited the in laws for September birthdays. We have three of us so we have started a tradition of group celebrations.

From my portion of the birthday loot was two gift cards.

Last night I used one of those for date night.

I miss date night and Friday lunches with my beautiful wife.

Coffee turned into a light dinner and desserts at a local bakery.
Good to get out of the day to day rut.

From there we walked the outside (read that "pretend" old down town like) mall. We were surprised to find a store dedicated to selling take out Mac and cheese. At first we thought it was a cheese shop, but nope, not in our part of the world.

Another shop was dedicated to gourmet popcorn.

We finally made our way to the bookstore to relax a little.
After a scare with baby c almost falling backwards out of my arms to the concrete 3 feet below, be still my beating heart, we settled into the big comfy chairs and began to read. We ended up in conversations with two separate women about baby c.

Interesting really.
I have visited these book stores for years and never ended up interacting with others as a single man.

Now that I am married, and even more so, have a small child, I have become a part of the bigger world of common experiences. The world has reached into my small universe and "adopted" me thru my child.

We listened as one "older mom" (we are probably the same age, but her son has graduated college) shared how fast time flies. How she worried about "scaring" her son with her reactions to his bringing her a frog. (He's fine and so is she).

Baby C is quite the flirt, smiling at everyone. People love babys.

The second mom shared with us her experience of home schooling.
Z and I have talked about home schooling. This woman brought home the value of it, and what is involved.

With home school, everyday becomes a learning oportunity. School becomes a vehicle for giving back to the community. Her children learned a second language. Every Wednesday they participated in charity work, giving and helping others. Something the school system doesn't promote.

Her childern also developed their own special gifts and because they were not taught in the public system, they didn't have their spirits beaten out of them thru year after year of group think.

I want that for baby c, for Z, and for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home