Friday, September 28, 2007

A day at the ER

"Bunny",

I woke immediately to the call of my wife's voice.

"I'm having...
sharrrrp...
stabbing pains...
in my Chest on the right....

side".

Thus began our Very Long Night.

"Do you have any shooting pains down your left arm?"

"No", she said, "but my stomach feels like it's on fire and I can't breathe".

We had had spicy food for dinner, but Zelda's iron stomach, challenger of all things spicy, had never had food issues.

That would be my department.

So this had me concerned...

"We'll give you 10 minutes, if it hasn't gotten better, we are going to the ER".

"I'm sorry sweat heart".

"For what? Having chest pains?"

In the back of my mind, the thought floated upwards, "if she collapsed, I'd never be able to get her to the car."

We had no problems, the streets were clear as we drove the five minutes to the hospital.

Expecting a long wait, I grabbed The Green Mile just in case.

"Fill out these forms please".

"Please have a seat".

It was about 15 minutes before we were called.

The technician pretty much decided as he took her stats that she was suffering from indigestion.

He has seen hundreds of cases, but we didn't stop in for a technician's opinion.

We were shown a room and Z was given a bed and we were left alone...

"Ping" "bip!" "Ping"

"Ping, Ping" "bip"

Noisy place.

But there was no "emergency" atmosphere anywhere in the 'Emergency Room'.

It was two hours before a doctor stopped in to check with us.
"I'll be back in a minute".

An hour later I walked back to the nurse's station to ask if anyone was going to attend to us, or we would like to leave.

"We're busy, it's an Emergency Room".

The nurse came back and started Z on a drip and gave her some meds.

"My wife's IV is empty".

"We'll be right back, but first we need to finish planing our Nurse's pot luck dinner."

They later took her back for a sonogram.

Did I mention the floor were dirty?

And while we waited I thought I heard a familar voice.
It was the Older woman I dated a few years back there with her mom.

They left while Zelda was out.

We finally got released about 6:00am.

"No cafine, no spicy foods, no fried foods."

Two all nighters in two weeks.
Needless to say, I stayed home and slept.

Z has not had any problems since.
And although Z told me that, "unless I'm missing an arm or I'm bleeding from all orifices, remind me why we Won't be going to the ER again".

I'm glad we went.
That is the same hospital where my father checked in but never checked out.
We found tums at his office, in his car, in his pockets.
He had a case of Killer Heart burn...
He thought it was only indigestion, and he talked himself into an early grave...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad she's ok!

Just remember that heart attacks usually present differently in women, more of a pain in the neck than in the arm..

the indigestion thing happened with my uncle. He was probably having mini heart attacks for a few years.. then one morning he got out of bed, said he had indigestion, laid on the couch.
A few hours later, when they got up, he was gone.


I'm glad she's ok

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home