Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Hypno birthing

Zelda has wanted to take a hypno birthing class since she first heard about it.
I like the idea as well.

She found a doula thru our church and had her come out to interview for my sake. (She's also a yoga instructor).

A doula is an avocate for the mother at the hospital, and a teacher/coach thru the process.

We had begun to budget for her services when everything fell apart in the economy.

She has offered her services to us gratis, which is emotional for us, and wonderful.

We started our first hypno class last night.

The Bible, and the media, would have us believe that there is PAIN!!! in child birth.
(gotta sell that car ad! and you NEED that chopper slicer that also cleans your clothes!)

This goes against nature. While there is the potential for pain, alot is going on in the birthing process, she pointed out that the uterus, its muscles, and all are DESIGNED (intellegently or thru evolution, I can believe both at the same time with out discounting the other) to deliver babys. And if the mother doesn't have the fear and expectation of pain, thru proper breathing and relaxation, mothers thru the ages have had what Dr. Grantly Dick-Read discribed as "uneventful" and "boring" births.

As one woman told him when he asked why she'd declined pain relief, "It didn't hurt. It wasn't supposed to, was it Doctor?" ('HypnoBirthing, the mongan method' by Marie F. Mongan)

Zelda will have a painless, natural birth. No horror stories for us thank you very much!

2 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

I think when I spawn, I would probably look into hypno birthing as well. there are some cds I learned about years ago on a site where I bought some hypnosis products and it's called www.wendi.com.
I don't know if I'd try birthing in water.
good for you guys on aiming for natural.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think that is a wonderful idea. I always dreamed of a natural birth such as this. I am very jealous!

6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home