Saturday, August 21, 2004

Try it, you'll "like" it...

I have known my buddy "J" since 1990. We've gone on vacations, shopping, and to college football games for years now. Gig'em!

About 2 years ago he realised he likes men better than women. Thankfully for our friendship, I'm not his type. It wasn't really a suprise. Though I did ask a number of times to make sure he was 100%. Hey, I was looking forward to our two families getting together for holidays, football and seeing each other's children grow up. He's sure...

Historically, as in, before he came out, I let it be known I am not really accepting of the gay life style. Historically I have not been accepting of many things.

Our friendship has actully gotten better since he came out. His confidence is greater, no more limp hand shakes. We have become more accepting of each other. More comfortable and secure.

He's been after me to go visit a gay bar with him for at least a year now. I have always declined. I'm not a bar fly to begin with, and smelling like cigarette is not on the top of my list of favorite things. Add all guys, no "real" girls, and drunks and you can count me "nada". Well tonight he got me to a Piano bar. Live music. A real woman vocalist. Large, brown, soft, eyes, if you know what a mean. And all men. All horney men.

To his credit he checked with me, turning back every 15 minutes or so to ask if I was "Ok?". It's a gay bar, not a root canal.

The gays were tipping out the singer in the traditional way, the first National Bank of Twin Peaks. Ironic, a hand on God's wonders and it didn't mean a thing to them. I mentioned this to my buddy and the bet was on.

But before we could follow up, I have venustraphobia, "fear of beautiful women" (thanks Readers Digest) not to mention outing myself as a straight man in a sea of gay men with a mission. Larry happened. A 52 year old, single(?) gay man, who dyes his gray, and interested in a little somethin-somethin. With me. Or the "young thing" at the end of the bar.

Straight women seem to think they can *convert* gay men, (same for straight men with lesbians).

Well it's no different with gay men towards straight men. I'd have thought he'd been more interested in J, who looks younger and is a "pretty boy", not to mention that he's interested in such things.

Well J was not his type.

But I was.

Poor Larry went home alone.

And I did a face plant *sigh* into God's gift to man with my $$ in my teeth. She's a beautiful woman. Larry didn't tip out the "bank", but left his cash in the bowl.

On the way back one man, boyfriend at his side, grabbed my hand and asked if I was a "changed man", and a second wanted to know if I was "near sighted or far sighted", as I had removed my glasses before my dive.

You might say, it was perfect 10.

J was paying out and missed the whole thing...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home