Saturday, April 08, 2006

Immigration

I'm not sure what happened in the rest of the country, but here in the North Texas area, during the congressional debate on immigratin reform, the local Dallas high schools had a mass walk out of hispanic youth.

The news covered the chaos that followed the students to Dallas City Hall and else where.

When asked what the congressional debate was about, the majority of the students had little if no idea.

Many were working on confusion and rumor.

Some were honest and admitted they were skipping class.

Not having any idea about what is going on, but merely reacting to what we are told sounds too much like what the adults do when voting time comes around.
*****

There have been "back lash" demonstrations in *response* to this debate.

Not letting foreign workers, to be more precise, undocumented Mexican workers, into the country is racist.

"I'll hire them to clean my office, cook my food, take care of my yard, build my houses, and watch over my children. But I'll be damned if I will let them live here! Oh, I want the financial benifits of the under the table cash payments for such work, the same work I would never do, such as manual labor, but I don't want to pay them benifits or anything. And hey! I don't want them receiving any medical benifits, cuz after all, they're lazy!"

(The arguement by the "no illegal workers" works something like,
"If you come in to over run the natives it's okay.
If you come in as a slave, it's okay.
If you come in from Canada, or Europe, it's okay.
Just don't be poor, from a poor country, or be the 'wrong' color.)

I watched Mexicans dig 6 foot deep holes every 4 feet with shovels around my house to repair my foundation. In summer.
Many of them speak two languages where as the average American speaks one.
I have watched Mexicans come through my neighborhood replacing roofs after summer storms.
Lifting heavy asphault shings on 110 degree plus roofs.
*Been there, done that. It's a LOT of work*.

WHY should we not let these people in?
Americans are too lazy to work as hard as these folks do.
They can earn more money here than at home.
We want the cheap, effective labor to keep our country running.

The win win option is to allow guest workers.

The business men who profit from the cheep labor don't want to pay the taxes.
And then there are the bigots who don't want to admit their gardner isn't legal.

Let's set up some rules to protect everyone and invite them in.

Are we not "America"? were everyone is welcome?

(And as Antonio Banderas said on Saturday Night, "Remember the Alamo".)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks

12:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home