Sunday, October 01, 2006

Birthdays, movies, and new houses

My sister asked me yesterday if I felt "40".

I'm not sure exactly what 40 feels like just yet.

Mentally I don't feel it.

Maybe I should, but I can not say that I am a mature, responsible "adult".

Being honest with myself in all areas would be mature.

Having long term financial goals would seem mature.

Controlling my spending, (ie. that planning thing-saving for it- and only after having the money in cash in my hand, buying it with thought and with out debt, would be what I think of as a "40" thing.

***
Speaking of saving and planning, Zelda has been for the last number of months, saving her pennies to buy my birthday gift. And very nice it is.

I am the proud new owner of an ipod.
***
Being forty, one should own their own house, a nice one.

Last weekend we went house looking.

Our current house is in, as I have come to accept as of late (since it's the one I grew up in), a poor neighborhood that is continuing to decline. Cars are parked on lawns. A great many of them are rentals.

Only a few blocks over is a new development that has some higher end product.
We really like the one design and could have one built to our specifications.

I also want to build my wealth and resorces.

We incured a lot of debt when we married.

Some of which has been retired, but together we don't have the disipline to eliminate the bad debt as quickly as when I was single.

And being debt free is a Wonderful thing.

Freedom lives where there is little or no debt.

This old house provides for freedom in our future, to buy or build that new house...

I worry that the new home would not allow for the cushion to save.

We still have yet to work out what we can afford.

(That would be due to that "lack of discipline" thing.)

Chicken or egg...?

We can afford to live well because we don't have a large mortgage...

or...

we are not disciplined in our spending because we don't have to watch every penny...(like we might if we did have a large payment each month...)

Anyway, we had dinner and movie with my sister and husband, then we saw "the last kiss".

Delt with commitment and "where is my life going?" issues.

Timely I would say...

No one seemed very happy in the film though...

I liked it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home