Saturday, January 10, 2009

Caught off guard

Zelda and I have a long term plan to "get out of the rat race".
We've miss stepped a couple of times.

But you make mistakes and correct.

I am surprised at how much on autopilot life has been.

In an okay market, I can get a job making a nice salary without too much trouble.
In a down market, as good as my skills may be, training is needed to get me up to speed in a different industry. Making equivalent money is a challenge...

The concern now is...how long will this last?
How saturated is the current real estate market with existing product?

I have heard that the strong will survive this down turn and the weak will fall.
This of course was said by a man I have worked for in the past who has grown his company to an international firm in the 13 years since I was let go from his firm.
He is international and very wealthy. He also has a certain amount of money he's going to make each year, and it does not matter who or how many people will be cut to ensure that number.

My last company, on the other hand, is small, and the owners take a cut in pay to keep their employees. All take a cut to keep all in work. That is where possible.

Sadly, the former is positioned to survive, and the latter is not.

Pastor reminded me that there are people in the world who strive to make others feel inadequate.

It is our job to remember that they are wrong.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Good point by your pastor. I am going through that now with someone trying to make me feel inadequate but it is wrong.
Too bad about getting let go. I was laid off back in August so got to start looking for work soon.
Hope you and the wife and future child do well.

2:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home