Saturday, January 29, 2005

What is going on????

What is going on in my generation that when you look at a child, YOUR child, and it is over weight, that you don't DO something about it???

There is a law proposed in the Texas legislature, by well intentioned people, that will require children to be weighed at each report card period, and if they are 'overweight', it will be posted on said report card along with their grades.

Teachers and schools have enough to do with out having to keep track of yet one more thing. That one more thing is YOUR responsibility anyway!
Stop being lazy and cook your child a decent meal!!

Are parents SO clueless?
Are parents SO wrapped up in themselves?
Are parents SO negligent that they don't see this?

My sister's family has stuggled with weight.
(Her first husband's family was native american, or should that be American Indian?, cause I was born here, making ME a native american... I digress...
All of his family were large people. Even those who were not 'overweight' were big.
They fried just about every thing they ate. )
I believe genetics plays a roll in their weight retention...

I don't have children of my own, yet...
But I remember as a child, being shooed out of the house to ride bikes,
to explore creeks, to play tag, and play touch football.

Is it because of a more sedentary way of life?
No parent at home to scoot the child out?
I find that reason difficult to swallow. My brothers and I could barely stand still, let alone want to stay indoors.

We didn't watch much TV. Mom had a set schedule per day. I remember we got exactly, 30 minutes of TV per day. And that was per child. It fostered cooperation between very competitive boys. We had to tag up to watch hour long shows.
We'd wine and fuss, and pout if we wanted to watch something which we "didn't have time for".

Today, I have two TVs and there is only one of me.
My nephew has his own boob toob in his room.

"the world is a scary place!! you can't let your children out to play!"
I am sure that is true in some places, but not all.
Today a human preditor might get you.
That has always been the case. See Cain and Able. See Little Big Horn and the preceeding slaughters by the white expantionists of the native americans... What did the natives call the land? Maybe THAT'S what we should call them.
Yesterday, it was wild life that might carry you away and have you for a snack.

Why is Texas becoming the land of the FAT?
Yes it's hot here.
But see above...

My thinking is processed foods.
Large corporations being lazy... Add this, mix in that to make things bigger, better. (Does this mean A&M has some blame in all this for developing some of these 'advances'? Um, let's not go there.)
Mom's mom grew many of her own veggies in the yard. Much cheeper than store bought. All organic. No seal or Gov. regulated proof required.
My thinking is JUNK foods.
The French know how to cook, to eat, to live.
How many obese Frenchman, or Europeans have you seen lately?
(Tragically, these same large corps, (bodies) are busy as we speak, developing stratagies to export these same wonder foods, ie. Lays Potato Chips of San Antonio, Texas, USA, to other countries. And if you don't eat potato chips, let us change your society until you DO, ie, Denmark. True story...)

I guess if the school require counciling with their measurements, something benificial may come of all this. I know of women who hold weight out of low self esteem, of childhood tramas. If those ghosts could be purged, maybe, just maybe.
Of course, how does the school, that gets large contributions from, fast food companies, tell it's children, "These companies are bad, but we'll still take their book covers, and sponsored products, and their money, and be true to ourselves and you?"

Why are we so afraid of life?

What is going on with my generation?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home