Thursday, August 25, 2005

What is going on?

Again today on the web news I read YET another article about how Fat, or should I say, "Obese", we Americans are becoming.

A few years back I saw the movie, "The Triplets of Bellville", which spoofs both the image of the French and the Americans.

We Americans are portrayed as ROUND, with food in our hands.

I was offended by it.

Seems it is becoming true.



What is going On?!

Is it because of larger portions?

Is it because we eat out more and more?

Is it because of additives to the food early in the food chain?

Is it because we sit in front of:

the TV,

our Desks at work,

the steering wheels of our Cars,

our Computers? (hmm, let me move my computer...)

Video games?

Probably a little of all of these, plus the fact that here in Dallas, we have, like today, "Unhealthy" air quality days, plus higher humidity as we build more and more lakes (trivia question: How many Naturally occuring lakes are there in the state of Texas? answer at the bottom).
And let's face it, it's just Damn Hot in the summer!!

Has the big box retail store surplanted the get out and walk to store mentality?

I'm not sure...

But it affects me, I am continuing to spread in the middle.

I often joke that the most exercise I get in a day is walking from my house to my car, from my car to my office, where I sit all day at a desk, and moving my mouse in circles as I draw. Then of course from the desk back to the car, and once home, to the couch...
Maybe I need more chores... (Zelda, don't answer that!)
***********
A side.
I am credited with having good genetics for my slimmer size.
At parties, I am always offered the left overs (well, at least when I was a bachelor),
"You are so thin, here, you take the left over, fill-in-the-blank. (usually desert)"
Most of the time I took it home, but never touched it.

Let food go to waste, lest it go to your waist

I would credit some of my thinness, not on genetics, but to picky eating.

I am usually the last to finish.
I eat slow.
This means I fill up, and, until recently,
never finished my plate.

Mom told me how as a little child she would chase me around the house stuffing beans in my mouth because I was finished. Though I am sure this is probably true of many children and green beans.

We were also always outside running around and playing.
**********
Back to the rant...

I'd climb the stairs to the office (all 16 flights), but due to Life Safety, they are classified as an "Exit Egress" which by code requires that once I enter the stair, I can not exit until I get to the "Exit" to the outside. Which is the ground floor, going down. Not as strenuous as going up...

I might try phoning from the landing *once I catch my breath*, and hope the signal gets through.

Or, I'll continue to park on the upper floors of the garage and take the stairs (to my car) at least three times a day.

Anyway...


There is exactly:

One
naturally occuring lake in Texas,
all the rest are thanks to the Government.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home