Saturday, February 18, 2006

Mixed Feelings II

This will be my last week with this company.

I know my decision to go elsewhere is the best thing for me.
Zelda is also very happy about this as well.

At the same time, I get the nagging feeling that I could have done more to try to fix the problem before it got to this stage.

Talked to the boss. Something.

Anyway, time to look forward, instead of back.
****
Question to answer...

Where is the balance between work and home?

Superman came over to say "Hi" and acknowledge my leaving.
He told me that he put in 400 hours last month.
It took a while for it to click "I had a 400 hour month last month, I'm not going to do that again."

400 hours?! How do you put in that much time and stay married?
In a conference call Friday the client was crowing about how he pulled it off.
My project is due Monday. I put in only 180 hours and got some help from our contract workers at the last moment.

My project is maybe 85 to 90% but I refuse to work this weekend on it.

I have watched Senior Architect and Superman put in tremendous over time, pass up vacation days, (senior has three weeks per year but hasn't taken but maybe two or three days since I've been here.) and not be rewarded for it except for getting more jobs.
Yes, they do get a larger Christmas bonus than I do, but they don't get office respect.
There is not profit sharing, no bonus for meeting or beating deadlines, as they do for contractors.

I may be spoiled.

With former companies, I did not put in nearly as much overtime, but when I did, it was apreciated and rewarded, even if it was only lunch.
Over time was discouraged.

It is the norm and expected here.
The owners resisted hiring new people.
It may be the same at the new company.
And the norm for my business.

We'll figure it out...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home