Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Crap!!!

Monday started out like any other Monday.
Off to work for the man cranking out yet another Convience Store cuz, hey, the world needs more c-stores.

Spoke to Z around lunch time to say, "hi", cuz, we're like that.

At one thirty I got a call from Z,

"The washing machine drain backed up and we have water in the garage and all the drains are backing up!!"

There was panic in her voice.

"The sinks are filling up. There's water in the bath room!"

G-d had decided to punish this pagaen with a flood.

"Call the insurance company and get things going. But first shut off the water, sweet heart".

"Where's the shut off?"

Uh oh...

"Stop by the big box and pick up a wet dry vac, please."

I let the boss know I needed to get home, a sewer line problem...

By the time I was pulling into the big box Z called to let me know she had:
1) Called the insurance emergency line and they had
2) suggested she call the emergency clean up company, which she did.
3) She also called Mom and Dad who recommended she call the City of Bunnyville, and
4) Forget about the wet dry vac.

The city truck pulled up about the time I did.
Wrong water problem.
Call out the sanitary sewer guys.

I surveyed the damage and started taking photos, secure in the knowledge that we have insurance and this will be taken care of.

I had a plumbing problem 5 years ago but had declined to use a clean up crew.
$1,000.00 to rent fans and driers and I'd still have to hire someone else to replace the carpet pads.

I pulled the pads myself. Bought a bunch of box fans and commensed to blowing.

Never did get the pads replaced...

That was clean water...

This time it was not.

Old Man at the office suggested a plumber who does only snaking, no repairs, so I gave him a call.

He showed up about 7:30 or so. Seems there are a lot of backed up toilets in the world.
Big truck and lots of toys.

He snaked the line into the house.
"Your line into the house is clean, but I found a problem at 75' ".
"My yard isn't that deep".
A sense of relief and at the same time, concern washed over me.
"That has to be the City line", I said.

"Well, I have a video camera and we can send it down. It has a radio transmitter on it and we can locate exactly where the problem is..."

While this was going on in the front yard, the cleaning company was busy checking walls and ripping off base trim. A pre treatment by blue gloved technitians killed any possible contaminants. "It smells just like a caugh drop". (And it does, as does the house).

"40 % moisture in the wall at the washing machine. It has soaked up about a foot into the walls.
I'll call the office and find out exactly what your policy covers. We can pack out your funiture, clean it and return it."

"In the mean time, you have a $1,100.00 deductable from All State. You pay that and your insurance should cover all the rest".

"Great!", I thought, "Where am I going to get $1,100.00?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home