Friday, January 21, 2005

Ego

Why is it that we were created with Egos?

The office has become a place of contention and placation of the powers that be...

For what ever the reason, the Interiors Principal feels it is important for the staff to each have a month of washing the dishes.
Every six months or so I get to wash the coffee pot and any misc. spoons, cups, plates...

I don't drink coffee... not at the office...

It was not in my contract.

It was not in my interview.

I was told 'everyone washes dishes'

I might not feel put out by it if everyone in the office did this.
It would be a great way to "share" the load.

Of course we could always wash up after ourselves....

As it is, not everyone actually washes.

ie. the Interiors Principal...

It's a power play on her part.
*************************
that last comment is not actually mine,
but by not questioning it,
I have made it so.
it is an opinion.
*************************

A former employee designed an award winning restaurant.
It is now closed, but I recall hearing the ads for it.
It is an implied groin vault, (where two barrel vaults, think an arch extended into a hall, come together and make a cross) made of sheet rock, that floats below the ceiling and is back lit.

It is this small but Oh so very important detail that everyone notices. With out it, it would be just another non descript restaurant...

Very nice...

It made the mags.

When does an idea become one's own?

If you ask the Interiors Principal, she will refer to it as "mine".
As in, "I designed it".

When does your idea become your bosses?

Granted, it would not have seen the light of day had the company not created it...

I know not to be very creative in this office... I won't get credit from it.

Causes me to wonder about all of these great designs in the Arch rags that are 'credited' to the owners or principals.
*******************

My buddy had interviewed with the company.
He is very design oriented.
Has a drive to create great things and make a name for himself.

Hmmmmm......
Wonder why HE wasn't hired.....

Sheesh...

(For anyone wondering, I have my resume up to date and ready at a moment's notice...)

1 Comments:

Blogger karlthebunny said...

That is a negative way for me to think, 'don't be creative'.

Yes, they may take the credit, but the creativity, is mine and mine alone!

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home