Thursday, September 01, 2005

Dear Diary

This Monday past, a huricane slammed into the Louisiana coast line.

It was born in the Atlantic as a cat. 1, drifted westward and passed over Florida.

Usually I don't pay attention to such things. Though I have friends who live along the coasts, I live too far inland to be bothered by them. If one should strike Texas, they are only rain when reach Dallas. And we need rain.

Crossing over Florida, not doing too much damage as I recall, because I don't usually pay attention to such things, it drifted into the Gulf of Mexico and grew into a cat. 5 monster.

I now started paying closer attention.

Sept. 6, 2005

I have had to pay closer attention this time.

I think it stupid for folks who want to, and choose to live close to areas that are impacted *so regularly* by mass acts of what we see as "distruction".

It happens, distruction.

We, in our air conditioned, *very rich* country, with Tv and "entertainment" shows and gameboys and movie rentals, our land of make believe.

Where is our simpathy when it's a bunch of people who speak a different language some where else (as in "not America")?

I am dissapointed.
In the lack of preparedness in New Orleans.
In the government, though I reserve judgement till we get everyone's side...
In the media, "Quick! there is a loud "victim", let's go get her story! *it'll make all the news!*"
The looters.
The complainers. "I lost everything! I *couldn't* get out. I expect the Government to come save me!! So where the Hell are they!! (as I have been doing for years on public assistance)"

Excuse me, I live below SEA level, right on the coast line! I know it's coming, but I don't want to DO anything about it.

I realize we are needing to be supportive at times like these, but I am also pissed.
The party is over and someone has to pick up the tab.

And that "someone" is US.
******
This being said, I don't see this ever stopping.
Human nature.
Happens all over the world.

There were devistating earthquakes in Alaska in the 1960's. People died. Homes were destroyed. People moved away.
40 years later, new developers are moving in, building in the SAME areas, even though there is documented proof that one *should not* live there, as it WILL happen again. And with in a life time.

Folks still buy these homes...

Anyway...

I guess my point in all this is,

it has impacted Zelda and I.
We will donate to the relief.
And we have begun to car pool to save on our limited funds.
I am not a moring person, who ironically, loves the morning most of all.
So I am at work early, and feeling frightened about the future, where the $$ will come from, will I have to continue to get up at an early hour, instead of getting the luxury of sleeping in...

Back to work.
It will all work out in the end.

Always has...
always will....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home