Friday, January 27, 2006

It's not easy being Green

It’s not easy being Green…

At the moment, that’s how I am feeling.

Green.
Green to the stomach.
Green to the head.

I’m thinking that the cure is worse than the sickness.

Zelda and I caught something on the plane back from our honeymoon.

A head cold.

It’s quite popular at the moment.
The “Everybody’s Got to have it!”

I’d like to give mine away.

Well…

Not that I want anyone else to share.
There is something good about exclusivity in regards to flu bugs and colds…

Anyway.

Monday I was hacking up a lung, which makes it tricky to sleep.
So Z and I arranged for a Dr.’s visit Tuesday.

Z insisted.

She gets kind of nervous when her husband(s) get sick.
(Number one, I being number two, got sick and never recovered, so it’s understandable)

My Doc is not shy about handing out meds.

I once had a Doc who had the philosophy that unless you caught it early, and took the drugs at the onset, by the time you made it to his office three days later, the bug was on the way out already and just let your body do it’s magic.

Other wise we were just helping create Super Bugs, due to the fact that most folks never finish their meds.

*This one has decided it likes the décor and refuses my heart felt eviction notices…*

Yes, I will finish my LOVELY tasting prescription.

Even if it leaves me feeling worse than the bug.

*****
PBS has a fascinating program on right now tracing the rise of some cultures over others.
“Guns, Germs, and Steel” or something close.

Earlier in the year I learned that the Flu doesn’t occur naturally in Humans.

It’s a gift from the dinosaurs.
Carried down by their ancestors, the birds.

All flu viruses have the same number of H and N proteins.

16 H’s and 8 N’s.

Birds are the only animals that have the same number of H and N proteins as viruses.
Which is what makes them carriers, and great mixing pots.

Change up the number of the active proteins and you get a new flu.

Ie. H1N6. Or H10N3.

The latest killer in the news is H5N1.

Add pigs and we get a great cross over animal from Birds to People.

Prior to domestication of live stock, we didn’t catch the flu.

Thus 18 million, 95% of the native Americans, died when they were introduced to the Europeans.

*That’s something I don’t recall from History class.*

Native Americans didn’t have the kinds of live stock Euros did (cows, horses, pigs) and so never developed the resistance.

Which conversely, is also why they never developed their civilizations to the same level.
They spent most of their time working the fields to make a living. No large domesticated animals to work the land for them.

They have recently tracked the 1916 Spanish Flu that killed so many people in the first part of the 20th Century to a British military camp in England during World War I.

The military was experimenting with raising its own food, pigs and birds (geese).
Add in hundreds of thousands of men moving through the camp a month, traveling all over the planet, and we have a world wide out break.

Yet one more out come of World War.

Be well.








1 Comments:

Blogger Paula said...

Hey Karl, hope you feel better. I myself have been having a minor cold these past few days and it's been giving me quite the head and neck ache. I usually don't stay sick this long.
Cheers to health!

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home