Saturday, February 05, 2005

Drinking

I just got back from voting today.

I voted against carry out alcohol sales in town.

Not that I am against alcohol.
I voted for in house sales, to bring in restaurants.

This time I voted more out of emotion.
Those who are pushing for carry out keep bringing it back on the ballot.
We the citizens of this town, voted not 6 months ago letting them know how we feel.
'Yes' to in house.
'No' to carry out.

It will keep coming back on the ticket till
those who want,
those with the $$$,
win,

And forget what we, the citizens want...
*****************
It troubles me that many times,
in order to make "good news",
the media seak out the conservative
church members (read that fundmental Christian,
read that Southern Baptist,
read that, the Worst Possible Representative of Christianity)
to have on camera for the "Against" Tv spot.
It makes religion and Christianity
look bad.
Realy bad.

"The Bible clearly says that drinking is a Sin."

Um... who's Bible is he readin'?"

My Bible, and I have three different copies,
says nothing about this being a sin.
("Sin" being "a separation from G*d)
Jesus regularly drank wine.
Maybe Paul/Saul had some concerns.
But I have trouble with Paul.
He never met Christ.
He just makes extraordinary claims about meeting him.
And we, if we are to be 'good' Christians,
are to believe this and swallow what we are told from the Bible.

Tricky question.
"I have a book, writen, I claim, by G*d, the Great Creator.
And in order for it to be 'useful'
I have to convince you, that it is 'the Truth'."

I don't have a problem with that, so long as it is understood that, for me, it is an attempt to understand that which can not be easily understood.

It is a collection of stories meant to explain our relationship with G*d.
Written by people hungering for, longing for, a realtionship with the source of their life.

Methodism officially states that drinking is not good. (Amoungst other things)
Not evil, but not good.
Methodists brought us the speak eazies.
Not intentionally. But Methodist women, concerned about the health of their friends, neighbors, family members, pushed for the constitutional ammendment outlawing alcohol.
And they were sucessful.
Sort of...

I would not mind wine sales and beer sales in grocery stores only.
Or maybe in limited locations. I'd like to see a wine botique on the Old Town Square. But not a liquor store on the corner.
Addison has a great city charter that allows alcohol sales in restaurants.
And carryout only on one street.
Addison has a great location, north of Dallas on the Toll Road.
Addison has free a health club for all citizens.
It also has the unique claim to fame of having the most restaurants per capita than any other US city.

Folks are gonna drink whether it's sold here or up the road.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home