Sunday, September 25, 2005

Rita of the big winds

Earlier in the week, another Hurricane threatened to trash the coast line, this time with the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex in the eventual path.

I wondered in my mind if the whole, "this is a neutral event, and we in our thinking make it 'good' or 'bad' " would remain my moto when it hit in MY back yard.

It moved eastward and we never had a drop... part of me is disappointed...

I had looked forward to holding up in the house on Saturday, sheltered and 'safe' against the storm. That and we really need the rain...
********
We did have a sad thing happen this week.

As Zelda and I got ready to go to work, the news reported the deaths of some elderly folks on a bus fire who were escaping the hurricane...

It suprised me to see it on the BBC later that morning. It shouldn't have, but I was still thinking of it as a 'local' event.

A number of things made it personal.

Mom was on oxygen for the last year of her life. They think at this point in time that oxygen tanks used by some of the riders may have exploded.

The section of road where it happened, is one street south of were we exit on the way home from A&M games. It's not 10 miles from my house.

*Unlike the horrible events that happen every day around the world, I know where this one occured.*

My world rarely makes national news, and I like it that way.

The only other times I have had this "feeling" was with Amber Hagerman.
You may of heard of the "Amber Alerts". They are public broadcasts anouncing the abduction of a child. They are meant to help get the public involved in spotting the car or child...

My daily commute took me with in feet of where her body was found.
Six miles from where I lived at the time...

Last year part of my home town suffered a 100 year flood. And previous to that, we hosted a tornado that took out a good portion of the town. Bearly missing the church I grew up in.

Many families are hurting right now. Mourning the tragic loss of loved ones.
At least that's what I hope happens to nursing home residents. Someone somewhere misses them...

And at the same time, up in Omaha, Yolonda had her baby with out so much as a peep!

The great wheel of life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home