Monday, November 14, 2005

Opera Season 2005

I must say that last night’s opera was one of the best I’ve attended.

(Part of that MAY have something to do with the notion that Zelda was my date.
But don’t tell her that.
She’ll get a big head.
Those small town Kansonians…)

I woke this morning with the music still floating through my mind.

Cavalleria Rusticana was beautiful.

Pagliacci was simple and to the point.

Infidelity and vengeance was the theme for the evening.
Such intense emotions.

Writers get a lot of mileage out of cheating spouses, from the ancient Greeks to today’s CSI. You might say it’s important for the welfare of the economy.

(Whoop!! Go Aggies! I don’t have wireless, but I do have a laptop! Zelda is having her hair done at the moment so, that’s six scores = six kisses I owe you dear! Now back to the topic at hand…)

Just think where all those lawyers would be with out it…

Living on food stamps.

Filling the lines at Goodwill.

Along side those afore mentioned writers.

Is it the embarrassment of others finding out?
Is it (as I believe) the sense betrayal?
The damage to the relationship by the divided attention can’t help.

(Snoopy has snuggled up to me and demanded attention.
Go Aggies!
He’s done. Bye Snoops!)

It must be the sense of possession of one by the other.
And the inevitable insecurity that occurs.

I always enjoy the sets.
While not usually as elaborate as ones found in musicals, which travel from city to city, they are integral to the story.

The use of color and great lighting made last night pop!

It started me thinking about how the tricks of stage set design could be used in the built environment.

Color.
Light.
Perspective.
Transparency.
And flexibility.

Oh, and of course,
Great Music!

The first set rolled off and on the stage in tracks recessed into the tilted stage.
It started stage left. And as the scene moved from “interior” space to the public plaza “in front” of the bar, they simply pushed and pulled to and from stage center as the scene ran.

And in the back ground,
black curtains along with a black “sky” drape came together and opened up, like the oculus of a camera.

Add in some intense color against that blackness, and Wow!!!

Zelda had some problems with the story line of the first story.
A long day, feeling a little underdressed,
(which doesn’t matter to me as I always find her beautiful, but don’t let her know, see “big head” above),
a neck massage from her husband,
and she didn’t focus completely on the stage the whole time.

Pagliacci’s set was more dependant on color and lighting.

It also got applause when the curtain went up on the circus tent scene!

*Bright yellow ropes,
implying a tent,
intense Red “entry” curtains in the back ground,
center stage,
all set against that Black background!!*

Then picture a single line of “Christmas lights along each rope and fold of the entry curtain.)

(Sigh… after a tough fight…time ran out on my Aggies…)

Z was tickled by the first set of the second Opera, a 1950’s, white and pink travel trailer.
I’m sure it was built of plywood, but it did its job, that and I bet it “broke down” for easy storage back stage.

Now that’s creative thinking!
*******
And then there was the people watching.

As always happens when there are empty seats in my section, a couple migrated from the less expensive seats to right in front of us.
Irritating.
Because I have season tickets, when it comes to “Would you please give money to the Opera?”, they approach season ticket holders.
Which I have done.
But they could make a lot more $$$ if they enforced seating.

I COULD, by waiting till the last moment, buy discounted seats in the $15.00 section and wait till curtain, move immediately to better seats, such as those right in front of me, and save $85.00.

But I wouldn’t bring a date.

“Hey, want to go on a cheep date with a cheep skate?!?”

The couple who sat down in front of us were a good example of that
“Dallas superficiality”.

Her tan, tits, and hair were all store bought.
And his hair gel was over powering.

Hey, Dallas Opera!
Give them a call!
They’ve got plenty of money to spare!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home