Sunday, November 13, 2005

Overwhelmed

Last weekend, while Zelda was out of town, I made a dent in the mess that is our home.

It would have been larger, but the work world squawks the loudest.
I went in on a day I had scheduled off.
I will take it again this Friday....

Zelda has a phrase about recognizing Good Design vs Bad.

It goes something like this,
"Good design works behind the scenes making life easier. It doesn't necessarily stand out. And the average Joe will not recognize it.
On the reverse, everyone can see Bad Design when they encounter it."

So what do the masses "see"?
Bad design.

Mom loved this house, (till I came home from college and mentioned that it is similar to a trailer house with a garage stuck on front).

I do not. Not as it is.

Its design intent, although sound in its basic layout, Private spaces at one end and Public at the other, fails to meet the HUMAN needs of views, light, natural ventilation, places to congregate and a commingling of Public with the Private (picture a window seat in a hall way).

As Zelda put it,"We are too close to the problem".

Very true.
I wish it wasn't...

I would be willing to play around with the floor plan, move walls. Add and subtract doors. Get some Practical experience in what I do for a living.
Zelda wants to put as little money as necessary to fix it up, and move.
Don't go throwing good money after bad...

Make where you live, what you Love.

That's complicatedly simple...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home