Friday, August 05, 2005

Looking forward to school

As a kid, in elementary, I looked forward to school begining.

There is something special about those first years that dissapeared after 5th grade.

Books in the library had pictures to go along with the words. And those that didn't were fun to read.
We had recess and the play ground equipment.
Field day and Christmas movies before the break.

And the teachers posted fun stuff on the boards.

We celebrated Valentines and Halloween and even Ground Hog's Day.

We memorised poetry and got to color on special occations.

Things changed in 6th grade.

As a child this struck me as strange.
As an adult, I understand it was because we were growing from Children, into being able to Make Children.

I wish they would have been more upfront with us and said this.
Mom would only say,
"Your body is going through changes".
"What changes?"
"Changes".
"huh?"

"Well son, you are changing from being a Child, into being able to Make Children."
May not have been anymore understandable to me, but it would have been a better answer.

I tutor.
4th graders.
This will be my 7 year.
I stopped mid term last year because my work schedule got busy.
They also spend a large amount of time each spring taking tests so they can take THE test that proves they know what they know for the State.

I also don't interact with the classes as I use to.
For the first 5 years, there was a different tutor rep, and I would meet the students at the class room door. We would then make our way down to the library, or hall table, where ever there was space for us.

Even though I worked with the same grade year after year, I never worked with the same teacher. They "graduated" out of the Dallas schools for the better paying suburbs, started families, or quit teaching. (If you are Really Good at Teaching, they promote you into a desk/administrative job...)

Now I work with the librarian. He arranges the children and the classes.
I show up and the kids are usually waiting for me.

We work on reading, math, writing.

In the end we usually end up focusing on reading.
Many, well, 90% of the children I have tutored have been English as a second language.
There have been kids from Sudan, Korea, East Germany, South America, Mexico, and of course, the USA.

If I work with them, it's pretty sure bet the parents either don't, or can't.
Kind of difficult to read to the kids if you don't have the time or money to buy the paper.
Some is cultural. Time with family is social, not focused towards study time.
And then there are the parents who simply never learned to read themselves.

I feel that way when I drive by the more and more numerous Spanish billboards.
Fortunately for me, Zelda has some Spanish.

I look forward to working with the children again this year.
It makes it all worth while. And there is nothing as challenging as figuring out how to present information to a child in such a way that they will "get it".

Zelda calls, time for bed!

The schools need tutors.
And lunch is an hour long...
What are you waiting for?

1 Comments:

Blogger karlthebunny said...

Take a deep breath,
what grade do you tutor?, and when I changed jobs, I've had three in that time, I simply informed my new potential employer that I tutor and it will take this much time.
Some were impressed, others weren't, but I did it anyway.

Interestingly enough, the only year I didn't tutor was when I worked for myself...I would have helped out at My School, Houston Elementary School...

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home