Saturday, October 08, 2005

ikea and other things

Today the weather was as I wish it could always be... cool, crisp, fall with that quality of light that only happens near the equinox.

Zelda and I slept in late, made breakfast tacos and coffee. I did some yard work.
My current project is putting a xeriscape in the front yard.
Yes, it would be much simpler to pave it, or as one guy's yard I saw, cover it in plastic and on top of that, river rock.

No thanks.

For a number of years I have wanted to plant a wild flower garden.
I have even in the past, collected the plants I like and attempted to transplant them to my yard. Some take, others don't.

I bought the seeds from the Wild Seed Farms on our "honeymoon".
(Zelda has been good for my motivation. I now have a future I can see. I ordered a catalog last year but it wasn't till this year that I decided to actually DO something with it.)

Today in the wonderful weather, I placed the metal edging and treated the grass to kill it.

Next will be to treat any survivors, till it, supplement and treat it, then finally seed it! Then wait for nature to do it's thing.
*********
Each week Zelda and I practice "date night".
It was one item I mentioned while we were "dating" that she has taken to like cats to cream! (Or grass, depending on the condition of their stomach...)

*Zelda is "spying" on me as I type. She had been playing with Snoopy the wonder cat, laughing all the while. Our unspoken agreement is that we do not "look over" each other's shoulders as we blog. But she still wants to know!!

I believe you said something about Patience when we first met my darleen.
It's a great opportunity to practice it.*

I like to make date night special and plan to make it that way.
There isn't always time to plan something when "what are we doing for date night tomorrow night?"

Well, I insisted that I get that time.
Zelda doesn't like secrets much, something that is endearing.

Her date night for this week was to see the latest Wallace and Gromit movie.
It opened Friday night.
Well, MY date night was pushed a week to, you guested it, Friday night.

On 45 south just north of Ennis is the little town of Garrett, Texas.
Now I have never noticed the sign for Garrett. I don't think Garrett is large enough to have a sign yet.

What I did notice is the new Drive In movie theater had finally opened!
And what were they showing this fine Friday? Why Wallace and Gromit's new movie!

What a great way to spend an evening. As Zelda got ready to go, not having any idea of what we were doing, I clandestinely packed the chairs, the table-in-a-bag, and blankets in the trunk.
I then took a long way round to the theater in case she remembered it from our A&M road trip.
She didn't realize it until we where just driving up on the marquee and she saw the Now Showing signs.

Dad used to take us regularly to the drive in every summer in the 70's. I remember waiting in a long line of cars to see the likes of "Planet of the Apes" (all of them in one night's showing!). In fact it has been so long ago that drive ins where just beginning to use FM broadcasts along with the window speakers and the Opal only had an AM radio.

Zelda lead a sheltered life in Kansas and had NEVER been!

The tickets were $6 each, but we were able to get a burger, hot dog, pop corn, and two large drinks for $10! (I dropped that much on drinks and a pop corn last time we went to a conventional theater!)

I think one of the job qualifications for working there is "must have strong Texas accent". Everyone from the ticket taker, to the MC, to the food stand girls had accents you could cut with a dull knife!)

Check out the link above (click the title)
We enjoyed ourselves and will do it again soon!

********
Earlier we braved the trip north to the land of shopping known as Frisco to visit (yet another Zelda first) Ikea.

The place is so big, and crowed, even for a Friday at noon, that we threw in the towel early.

But not before we picked up some CD towers and art shelves.

Someday we will decide which wall and get them put together.
*********
We are planning a sale for all our stuff we don't need.
******
Congratulate Us! We finally committed to a china setting on my Birthday.
They had caught my eye for some time, and Zelda liked them as well, but we weren't "sold".
Zelda decided we could at least dip our toe in the water.
We agreed and bought two sets to see if we liked them once we got them home.

I am ready to get rid of all the other stuff we have and buy!
What set are they?
Audrey from Crate and Barrel.

**********
To finish the day, Zelda and I got out of the house and after a quick stop at Sonic, we made it to the park. As we sat there, she said it would be a nice day to visit a really old cemetery.
As it would happen, the park is a short way from the oldest cemetery in town.
So we spent the late afternoon looking a dates and names, wondering how these folks knew each other, how they died. Who was married to whom, second wives, children with out first birthdays. My family name was there, (no relation). People I had known in high school and elementary. Some I had heard about on the news.

I would be able to see the winged, skeletal horses in Harry Potter book five.
The poetry always gets to me and I choke up.

And we walked across to the newer part of the cemetery and visited mom and dad's stone.
I put a number of things on the stone. One of those things was "cancer" for mom, and "smoking" for dad. At the time it seemed like a perfectly good thing, though now I feel it was too "political" in dad's case, and maybe cause of death, the wrong thing to put on the stone. I don't know. Maybe one is supposed to leave places such as this

with more questions

than answers...





*******

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home