Wednesday, October 19, 2005

New Jobs

The kid got a new job today.
He's been getting offers for some time and handing them off to his friends.

His portfolio is really good.
His profs at the University of Texas at Arlington pushed their students in design and building models.

Makes me jealous.

I don't think I could design myself out of that proverbial paper bag.
Once upon a time I could. But the tools have gotten rusty from lack of use.
Oh I can do practical design and space planning.
But not the kind of stuff that is exciting to me anymore.
I'd like to be an architect's Architect.
But not badly enough to put in the time...

As I told the kid, it's not the designers or the school one attended, but the client who apreciates and hungers for modern design.

The client is THE key to it all.

And who, most importantly, can
pay for it.

Maybe if I signed up for some masters classes in design.
Though I'm not sure how that would work out with a full time job...

And also today the interiors intern we had earlier in the year called today to let me know that she got a new job. (She was let go from our shop).

And what pray tell is she going to be doing for this new firm?
Site plans. (gulp!)
She in fact, wants to become an Architect and is planning to get her masters in Architecture.

On a less than happy note, this will mean that her todler will have to go to day care... (The intern was proud to say that she was back to work a week after her baby was born. That and she plans on another one next fall.)
I am old school, the best person to take care of a child is one of its parents. No one will care more for it (inmost cases) than a parent...

I once worked with a woman who grew up in day care. Not a pleasant person...

anyway...

Zelda and I are off this weekend to visit Zelda college land for the A&M game.
Manhattan!, the big city! uh, pardon...

That would be Manhattan, Kansas, not New York.

Will be nice.
We don't have a bet for the game, cuz I'm not 100% the Aggies will win...and Zelda will have me doing the wash for a month if I lose.

Which means we would not have clean clothes till December...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home