Thursday, April 21, 2005

Surprise!!!!

Tired today.

Hatched a plot Tuesday, an evil plot
an evil wicked plot.

See, I was in an Insurance Conference for the building industry and I'll have to blog about that one later. While I was half listening, have dozing during a very informative, sometimes amusing, and many times s-l-o-w mock trial about a very scary, almost tragic, mishap with an insect screen on a fresh air intake vent, (based on a true story which just so happened to involve the Texas A&M basket ball team) I got an idea...

No, it had nothing to do about screens or attornies, or any such thing...
It had to do with Zelda. (No, it was not about changing out her screens either.)

Monday we finally got our project set out for review by the client. Still a lot of work to do, as we worked right up to printing, and thus, did not have time to Red Line it... knowing that we would have a week to make the pick up corrections before our meeting next week in Cali.

I have put in so much over time, unpaid by the way, in the last couple of months that I was forgetting what it was like to get home before bed time. Each time one of Zelda's friends would ask how I'm doing, she'd have to respond, "He's working tonight".

Back to my plot...

Rather than sit passively by, waiting with my temptation stoked hormones raging like a teen ager on a first date, I decided to take, *ahem*, things in my own hands...

I put a call into Yolanda, one of Zelda's Kamakazi Grrls buddys.
She wasn't in.

So... I waited, cuz I'm good at that, and booked a flight to Omaha, via, the Bermuda Triangle of the Midwest, Denver, Co. for Wednsday.

Did I mention I hadn't cleared it with my office Yet?!?
That is a story in itself... From conversations we'd had earlier in the week, I assumed he'd say "Yes". Can you say, "Stressed?!"

Then I emailed S, one of Zelda's other buddys, and who has been gracious engough to leave posts and help me with Woody Kitty, my one eyed wonder cat.
Could she help me get a ride from the airport but not let Zelda know... ???

I then emailed Zelda letting her know our traditional Wed. night phone call would be late as I was having dinner with J and Red.
***************
It would have all worked out perfect, had it not been for those darn kids!!!
Opps, wrong story line. It was in fact, different line, a line of thunder storms. A hail dropping, plane buffeting, flight delaying, lighting causing mid western spring time Thunder storm. And it happened right where everyone wanted to land, Denver International Airport.

We circled south eastern Colorado for about half an hour (which is about twice) before we could get clearance. Then we seemed to take the LONG way into Denver, zig zag, bounce, swoop.

I was confident I'd make my connection. I'd have half an hour to cross the terminal, use the toilet, and catch my plane. Confident, Uh, that was *BEFORE* the half hour delay.

But not to worry.
I had forgotten about the one hour time difference between Dallas and Denver. There is no time change between Omaha and Dallas (at least none measured in hours), so I was not thinking clearly.

Still, I had some anxioty. (Sorry, blog spot does not have Spell Check, if you haven't already noticed from previous posts, and I am on Zelda's machine, so, please bear with me).

I found my connecting gate and settled down to wait.
Now, I flew in on an Airbus 318. Not a giant plane, but I'd compare it to a 737 in size. Except for the time I flew into Bozeman, Montana, I have always deplaned from a large jet via the bridge. This connecting flight was at the puddle jumper gates. The turbo props and corporate jet sized flights.

They open the doors, you make a mad dash through the cold and wet and board your plane. Well, that's the theory.

My flight into Omaha was scheduled to land about 10:00. About the time I was supposed to call Z.

I put on my flimsly sweeter while sitting at the gate, due to the open doors people were dashing in and out of, and waited..."On time" read the arrival board.

Yeah!!

About the time my next flight was to leave, the hail started. Maybe marble sized and 'great masher' shooter marble sized. Glad I didn't have a car parked anywhere. The tarmack was white with ice.
Back to reading my book....
"Passengers on flight ###, to Omaha, your plane has been delayed waiting for the storm to pass." Add 30 minutes.

A little latter, I notice our plane had landed.
Yeah!!
Get those people off so we can get on!! (After all, I'm getting Laid tonight!!)
"Sorry, due to the lightning, there will be a slight delay. We can not let anyone out with out protection." Add ?? minutes.

About an hour later, these poor folks had been sitting on the ground, in a small plane (corporate jet sized), and we had been sitting in side.

Lighting abates.

Cue 2nd hail storm...

aannnnnnndddd,

Action!!

I called S a second time to let her know the situation...
She let me know that due to her girlfriend's (they are getting married very soon!) millitary training the next day, they'd have to have Magda and her beau pick me up. (Thankfully, Omaha is a small town and to cross it is not time consuming.) S wants to meet me before Z and I hitch up.

Those folks waited 90 minutes to get off that plane...

Little did we know...

Twenty minutes after that, the lighting started again.
Ten minutes later, it stopped and "We are now bording flight ### to Omaha, may we please have..." "Now boarding rows 13-25..."

Cue hail
aannnnnndddd,
Action!!!
Close the gate... and wait...
And Lighting!!! (none of which was even close... but...)

Some time later...

"EVERYONE to OMAHA, GO!!!

Whew! finally made it to the plane...

Little did we know...

Half way through bording, more lightning and hail...
Close the gate.
A couple of passengers played, "do I get off? and fly out tomorrow? or stay my ground," with the steward. It crossed my mind too.

It was now about 11pm my time...

"Welcome aboard ladys and gentlemen to flight ### to Omaha, In case of emergencys, we have four exit doors on this plain, two_______"
The federally required P.A. system went
DEAD...

Cue Lightning.

They finally replaced the P.A. system, maybe another 30 minutes.
Can't call Z to chat her up cuz she'd hear the plane banter. And she's no dummy...

We got into the air, after another 15 minutes to de-ice the plane....
And made it into a perfectly dry Omaha, warm enough for Magda to wear flip flops (quite a change from Jan. when it was a whopping 2 degrees F!!)

I watched the lightning jumping around the thunderheads over Lincoln in the darkness, Moon far over head shining down on the cloud cover below us.

How to suprise Zelda???
I had wanted to call her from outside her door while S, or Magda, or Yolanda knocked and just followed them in.

Instead I called from outside her door at 2:00am, and found her just gone to bed, not irritated at all for such a late call.

"I can't get in, could you come open the door?" I asked.
And then I knocked...

A perfect ending to a long day...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Awww shes really lucky!

12:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home