Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Studying

I am endevering to finish my studies for the Architectural Exams.

At 38 my study skills and memory are not what they once were.
I have to learn to focus.
My brain is out of practice.

I did well last year taking the Real Estate Classes for Agents.
I was interested in the topic.
And there was a discipline in taking weekend classes.
Saturation would be the theme.

Reading.
Lecture.
Lab.
Exam.

Some of it should stick.

Though, don't ask me about it today.
I couldn't tell you.

Disadvantage about cram courses.
And age.

Today I waded into Structures.

E - Modulus of Elasticity (psi)
a - coefficient of linear expansion (in/in-F)
f - unit stress (psi or psf)
e - total deformation (inches)
A - area (in2 or ft2)
P - total force (pounds or kips)

f=P/A

In reality, it's not so much Mathematics,
as it is Language and Vocabulary.

These exams are my freedom.
To move, to start my own company.
To make more money.

It means time away from Zelda Bunny.
Alot of time...
It will take me every evening every week for a number of months to be prepared for this exam.
I have two that are related.
General Structures (why things don't fall down)
and
Lateral Forces (how to keep things from knocking your stuff over).

Important, mighten you agree?
That would be why we, Architects, hire Structural Engineers, to handle all that gravity stuff.
A great example of a world famous Structural Engineer would be Santiago Calatrava.
(From the link above, check out the Milwaukee museum. Choose "Projects" then "buildings" then "USA" and finally "Milwaukee Art Museum". Those wing like tines (left),
m o v e...
W a y
C o o l!)

Sadly, I will forget most of what I'm studing, because I don't use it enough. (That and my memory is not so good)

Back to exercizing my brain...
My body may be in good shape, but my "little gray cells" need to do some push ups!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home