Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Vacation Bible School- Adult Style Part I

Last Tuesday I was invited by Dr. S to visit her church.
For of all things, Family Vacation Bible School.
Small place, only about 7,000 members.

When a church can draw that many parishners, something good is happening!
It is a predominantly African American/Black congregation.
Non denominational, which confuses me. There are enough "non denominational" churches out there for it to be a "denomination" of its own.

The T.V. cameras were in force, as so many new churches now use them.
Which Architecturally means, you will not find any windows into the sanctuary. Too hard to balance the lighting for the afore mentioned video. So much for the Light of God shinning in.
But the Lord was in force.

There was a testimonial from a woman with cancer. She'd like to live and is ready to die.
Next they got the party started with an incredible 4 woman gospel group.
And finally there was the guest speaker.
He has a 40 week "Grace Walk" lecture series, which you can buy in the lobby, from which he gave a 4 hour synopsis over the four day Bible School.
Let me say, He WAS GOOD.
Lecturing from Corinthians, he basically gave a great, if not perplexing, speach on Paul's interpretation of Christ's "dying to the law".
Now I am a law kind of guy. I like rules and boundaries. I may break them regularly, but at least I think I understand what they mean.
His slant on the law, if I may paraphrase MY understanding of what he said, was Christ died so that we may be free from the laws of the church, the old laws from the Jews (Jesus being a good Jew), from Moses, and also from our current understanding of Christian Laws.
He said, you don't have to obey ANY of them. Huh?!?
Jesus sets us free to do anything we want.

He admonished us to be like Jesus. Which Paul said we are to be like Christ.
And live as if Jesus were living through us.
********************
More later when I have the time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home