Friday, March 17, 2006

By Comparison...

(My thoughts on this are still jumbled, so I will come back to refine this post as I continue to think on it)

We come to discover who we are, I believe, by comparison with others.

This brings about our need to “keep up with the Jones’s”.
And thus keeps the world moving.

This week I came into a couple of wholly remarkable people.

One of my new clients owns a number of restaurants and is finishing out a lease space in one of our buildings under construction in Plano.

I went in expecting to meet with some corporate types in their 40s.

I was caught off guard when “their sons” sat down with us at the conference table.

They must be in their mid to late 20’s, early 30’s.
The image of a cool, hip, trendy restaurant was required.

I found myself creating life histories in my mind to fill in the "how'd they do that?!" blanks. (How'd they get the experience?)

Unfairly, the first one was "daddy".

The second was "marketing majors?".

Their energy and passion was intoxicating.

Think college party boys and snow boarder attitude.

“That’s totally Hot, that’s so cool”, and, “that totally blows!” were terms used over and over.

To have a job, in their case, a life (and I think that is a major factor here) where they “play around” and make their dreams come true, struck a chord in me.

To LOVE what I do for a living…and to be in Charge of that destiny…

The self-reflection I got back was enlightening.
"These two young guys shouldn't be in control, they should not be this successful.
They don't have the experience."
(part of that could be that I am now old enough to come across 'younger' clients.)

It takes a sense of self,
a sense of awareness,
of direction,
and a focus,
that I have never experienced.

And a sense of faith in one's self.
"I can DO this!"

These young men in their early 30’s are responsible for the employment,
and thus livelihood, of hundreds of people.
And along with that,
themselves.

I struggle to pay my credit card bills.
***
Zelda and I ate at the restaurant in question that night.

The CEO was sitting on the patio talking with a business partner enjoying the evening.

The food was excellent. The location, and old converted house, 'choice'.
The service and attention to the clients was outstanding in a
What-service-should-be-like-at-every-place-of-business.
Everyone pulled together.

I could see the expression of the owners in the service.

We are going to pay you well and everyone, from the busboy to the manager will take care of the clients.

*Ironically last year I was looking for a good Pizza place to take Dr. S (she's from Chicago, and evidently, no one in Dallas knows how to make good pizza).
I asked around at the office and two people gave me the same place.*

Fortunately Z and I got there early because by 7:00 there was a wait for seating.
On a Tuesday night.

I am gushing?
Yes.
I want to be like these two successful guys.

But they are not me. Or is it, I am not them?
What they have to know, who they have to be, to bring their passion to the world, their idea of what dining should be, is not me.

But I can compare myself,
learn from them,
and find my own thing.

Their company, is Consilient Restaurants, and the Restaurant is Fireside Pies.
*******
I have thought about this during the week.

As an Architect, or the owner of an architectural business, architecture has its limits.
Not everyone wants or needs an architect.
Although one can expand into construction, as my new firm has,

our business model is not self sustaining.

I thought about what these young men have accomplished.
They own real estate.
They are constantly creating new concepts.
They participate in revitalizing an area of town.

They employ
chefs,
managers,
receptionists,
hostesses,
bar tenders,
busboys,
wait staff,
accountants,
attorneys,
and valets.

They must know
vendors,
architects,
marketers,
web designers,
investors,
in their case, celebrities,
and contractors.

They must know pop culture and be aware of what is “cool” (something I have never had a knack for).
They must know
how and when to make a decision,
food,
marketing,
real estate,
understand people,
be well traveled,
have out going personalities,
and be energetic.

They must know how to sell their ideas.

And unlike Architecture,
EVERYONE eats.

***
9 out of 10 companies fail in their first 5 years.
What this means is, you have to start at least 10 companies in order for one of them to be successful.
And most importantly, learn from your mistakes.
***

These two “kids” have.
One is founder and CEO.
The other is the head chef.

By comparison, I am sleep walking through life,
shoulder to shoulder with 90% of the rest of the crowd.

In large part,
because I have never learned who I am.
Only after I discover that, can I step outside of who I think I am,
and become
what-I-Am-Meant-To-Be.

And this I believe,
we do
by comparison...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home